Mrs. Fernandez’s April Class News
SPRING is here! This month marks the beginning of 4th Quarter. WOW, time has flown by. We will have a 4th Quarter goal setting meeting. We are hopeful that all the students have a wonderful Spring Break and when they come back they are refreshed and ready to get back into the swing of things! As the weather improves we ask that you continue to encourage your student to remember class and school rules.
4th quarter is a time when we really prepare your child for the expectations and rigors of 3rd grade. We have much to cover and expect all our students to be taking on the responsibility of turning in work in a timely manner. This should be a habit at this point in 2nd grade. As we like to say “the train is moving!”
We are looking forward to our spring field trip to Native Lands. Should be a lot of fun!
Thank you, as always, for your support at home and helping your child be a successful student!
What We’re Learning About:
- Reading: We will be finishing the metacognitive skill of summarizing and the strategy of questioning when reading. We are also going to be starting a poetry unit this month. We will delve deeper into inferencing skills and using context clues to determine unfamiliar words when reading. Remember the best way to build stamina in reading is to have your child build on his/her minutes reading daily. We tell the children all the time that the more that they practice reading, the better readers they will become!
- Writing: We are writing poems. We will be learning bout acrostic, cinquain, diamonte, and other types of poetry. We look forward to all the "creative juices" your child has to offer.
- Grammar focus: quotation marks, pronouns, review of contractions and compound words
- Math: We are studying double digit subtraction with regrouping. Please practice this at home with your child.
- Science: We are starting our matter unit at the end of the month. The students will learn about the states of matter and will be learning about the water cycle. One of our favorite songs goes with the water cycle...so stay tuned.
- Reminders:Please continue to check our webpage for the weekly homework charts that are posted to ensure your child is practicing at home.
We look forward to gearing up for 4th Quarter with this great class!
Mrs. Fernandez J