The inclement weather season is near. Please prepare by noting the following Prince William County Public Schools (PWCS) inclement weather practices, and equipping yourself with the newly released 2016 MyPWCS custom mobile app.
When snow, ice, or cold causes hazardous road and walking conditions, schools may open late, end early, or even close for the entire day. Decisions are made based on countywide conditions and weather forecasts to ensure the safety of all students, staff, and residents across more than 350 square miles. This means closings can occur when conditions might not seem particularly bad in your immediate area. Conversely, schools may open when you consider local roads and sidewalks unsafe for travel. If that happens, you have the option of not sending your child(ren) to school. Students will receive an excused absence. They will not be penalized academically, but are expected to make up all assignments.
PWCS transportation teams determine travel safety by monitoring conditions and driving both major and remote roads across the county. They also consider input from police, Virginia transportation authorities, and weather forecasts before recommending a decision. Safety is always the top priority. We try to reach a decision as early as possible amid changing conditions, and strive to get the word out between 5 and 5:30 a.m. in multiple ways:
• Online: Check pwcs.edu and/or any school website. Weather notifications will appear in a pop-up box when sites are opened. If the site is already open, refresh your browser with "F5" to get the latest announcement. Messages will be in English with a "Weather Notice" link to translated versions;
• Social Media: "Like" our Facebook page at facebook.com/PWCSNews or follow us on Twitter, twitter.com/pwcsnews;
• Local radio and TV stations: Closing and delay information are repeated frequently;
• PWCS-TV: Watch Comcast channel 18 and Verizon/FiOS channel 36;
• Phone: Call the PWCS information line at 703.791.2776 and select option 3; and/or
• MyPWCS Mobile App: Get notifications directly on your handheld device. First, delete older versions, then download the free 2016 custom mobile app by searching "PWCS" on iOS and Android App stores.
For more information visit pwcs.edu. Click on "About Us," then "Closings, Delays, and Emergencies."